Lead New Product Development Engineer
Chudleigh, UK — Permanent, Full-time
Join us and lead the technical aspects of launching new products into high volume manufacture. Applicants will have the opportunity to work with some of the biggest names in the off-highway, automotive and engineering world. The NPD Lead Engineer will manage the technical introduction of products into manufacture, developing and implementing the product release process and documentation. You will liaise closely with Product & Manufacturing Engineering to ensure the designs are production ready.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Technically lead the New Product Development (NPD) team to deliver high quality products successfully into volume manufacture.
- Use of best practice technology tools to ensure product and feature development meets deliverables.
- Planning and executing Design of Experiments (DoE) and statistical analysis of results.
- Supporting Manufacturing Engineering with the design and implementation of new equipment into the production lines.
- Ensuring project work is carried out in compliance with regulatory and company requirements.
- Assisting Manufacturing Engineering with the production of full manufacturing process flows with support from internal teams.
- Aid with creating all required documentation to meet internal requirements as well as external requirements.
- Comply to Dana Management Systems of Health & Safety, Environmental and Quality.
- Creating and working from design specifications in accordance with Dana Quality Management System.
- Assisting with creating all required documentation to meet internal and external requirements (CE, PAPP, DFMEA, DVP etc.).
- Production of bill of materials and engineering change notes.
- Engineering Degree qualification or significant industrial experience.
- Experience within high volume manufacturing and involved in bringing products to market.
- Able to use root cause analysis tools such as Cause & Effect, 5 Whys, Hypothesis testing etc.
- Able to form and lead teams across various functions.
- Good analytical skills and evaluative judgement.
- Extensive applied 3D CAD experience, with SolidWorks the preferred package.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems and generate innovative solutions.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Experience of and ability to lead DFMEA, DVP etc
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Desirable: Knowledge of electric motors useful.
- Desirable: Knowledge of the Production Part Approval Process (PPAP)
- Desirable: Knowledge Six Sigma and statistical tools.
- Desirable: Proficiency in GR&R and Measurement Systems Evaluation, Statistical Process Control (SPC) and Capability Analysis.
- Desirable: Experience of production engineering, DFMA and/or lean manufacturing beneficial.
- Desirable: MS Project not essential but preferred.
- Leadership: The ability to provide direction and guidance to a group of people and to encourage cooperation between team members in order to attain an objective.
- Accountability: Being accountable and passing on accountability for one’s own actions and those of colleagues and the organisation.
- Attention to Detail: The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently.
- Initiative: The ability to recognise and create opportunities and to act accordingly. Rather starting something than waiting passively for it to happen.
- Problem Analysis: The ability to detect problems, recognise important information, and link various details, to trace potential causes and look for relevant solutions.
- Assertiveness: The ability to bring one’s views across clearly without damaging the relationship with the other party.
- Personal accountability
- Concentration and focus
- Work as part of a team or alone
- Work to deadlines and respond effectively to customer requests
- Strong time management skills